[dropshadowbox align=”none” effect=”lifted-both” width=”auto” height=”” background_color=”#ffffff” border_width=”1″ border_color=”#dddddd” ]This post is written, by me, on behalf of bikebandit.com![/dropshadowbox]Motorcycles are cool.
Motorcycles are sexy.
Motorcycles are dangerous.
Motorcycles are a thrill.
I’ve always thought motorcycles were awesome. I guess I get that from my mom’s side of the family. My mom rides, my uncle rides and my grandfather always wanted to ride, but grandma wouldn’t let him.
However, when your husband wants a motorcycle, you start to think about how scary they can be. How people don’t watch for them on the road and how quickly he could get badly injured in a fall or crash. Yup, I started to think like my grandma. My grandma wanted her husband around forever and well, I want my husband around forever too!
Unlike my grandma though, I told my husband that he could get a motorcycle if he wanted one. He could own one and ride one, as long as he took precautions and as long as he had the proper gear.
My husband already owns a dirt bike, so I am a little less scared. He’s had it since he was 18. He also has a bag full of motocross gear. He has a riding suit, motocross off road gloves and a helmet. It still worries me though. Not so much my husband on a motorcycle, but the other people on the road.
Here are some ways that you can help make motorcyclists safer:
- Keep your eye out for motorcycles, the same way you watch out for people.
- Teach your kids to keep an eye out for motorcycles and it will be something they automatically do as adults. Make it part of your driving or road trip fun.
- Listen for motorcycles. Most motorcycles are very audible and can be heard coming.
Here are some ways that motorcyclists can keep themselves safe:
- Follow the laws of the road. Don’t try to zip through traffic, just because you think you can.
- Keep your motorcycle or dirt bike in good riding condition.
- Make sure that you are wearing the appropriate motorcycle or dirt bike gear! (A riding suit, helmet, motocross boots and motocross off road gloves are the best.)
If you are going to ride a motorcycle or dirt bike, have fun, but keep yourself safe and protected!