When my husband and I made the decision for me to become a stay at home mom, we did so because of a number of factors. It made sense financially. It was more cost effective for me to stay home. It made sense emotionally. I had to go back to work shortly after my son was born, so my husband knew it would make me happy to stay at home. There are more factors, but these are a couple of the reasons why we decided that I would stay home and take care of our kids.
Not my siblings' kids, not my friends' kids, not the neighbors' kids. Our kids. I can't even begin to tell you how many times this subject has come up. Apparently, being a stay at home mom comes with another label: on-call babysitter. Well, not me. No siree. I am not going to be your babysitter and here's why:
1. Have you ever heard the expression, “Kids are like farts…”? Well, they are. Kids are exactly like farts. I can handle my own, but other people's just stink. Taking care of other people's kids for an extended period of time can be more painful than gas cramps.
2. I am not rated E for Everyone! I am crass, brazen and often times, foul mouthed. I have learned how to adapt myself to public situations, but I am not going to censor myself at home any more than I already do.
3. I don't do co-dependency. I'm sorry, but when my kid falls down and scrapes their knee, I'll check it, I may even kiss my hand and pat it, but then I tell them to get over it. I don't rock them, coddle them, talk in a baby voice and offer them a special “ouchie treat”. Hell, most of the time my kids get the “I bet that hurt! Betchya won't do that again.” treatment.
4. If I want drama, I'll get it by watching bad reality TV, not by watching your kids. Every time, EVERY time, something happens that causes drama. Oh crap, little Susie hit little Dwight and now he has a fat lip. Drama. Oh shit, I fed little Aurora Kraft Mac N Cheese instead of this all organic substitute. Drama. Friends should never make friend watch their kids. It's a destroyer of relationships.
5. I just don't want to do it. I've got kids of my own that I can barely stand for 16 hours a day and you want to add yours on top of it? Thank, but no thanks.
Like I said, I became a stay at home mom to take care of my kids. MY kids. I am a mother, not a babysitter.
Do people expect you to be their babysitter?
Pin it for later!