As a mom, it’s hard to find time for self-care. Every blogger and their cousin seems to be preaching the good word of self-care, and this type of language can be downright overwhelming. We all know self-care is important for our mental health, but how do we find the time when 1) we’re on strict budgets and 2) there aren’t enough hours in the day as it is.
I’ve discovered that the best way around this is to invest in DIY solutions. You can achieve self-care and beauty routines on a budget with things you probably already have in the house.
Let’s get started with these natural beauty recipes.
1. Hot Oil Hair Treatment
If you’re like me, you have dry hair all year round. Either way, you might find yourself needing some extra moisture in your luscious locks. Blow-drying your hair regularly might make you look like you stepped out of a salon, but it does a number on your hair’s health. The best way to bring these locks back to life is with a hot oil hair treatment, and you can manage this from home.
First, you’ll need some oil. I prefer to use argan oil because it’s full of vitamin E, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids that add the perfect amount of shine and elasticity to hair. Basically, it makes your hair healthier.
You can find pure argan oil at the argan oil shop, and from there follow these easy steps:
- Fill a microwave-safe bowl with up to 6 tbls of oil. You’ll need more oil if you have long hair.
- For a scented treatment, add a drop or two of essential oils into your oil.
- Microwave your oil for 10-20 seconds.
- Apply the hot oil treatment to your hair and wrap your hair in a towel or shower cap
- Leave the oil on for up to 30 minutes and then wash your hair with a gentle shampoo.
2. DIY Facial Scrub
If you want a healthy skincare routine without the expensive price tag, you can DIY your own gentle facial. Exfoliating your skin regularly will help prevent aging, reduce the appearance of scars, and even keep wrinkles from forming. It’s honestly super easy to create your own facial scrub.
Follow these steps for an effective, healthy scrub:
- Mix 1 tbsp of baking soda with a face-friendly essential oil like lavender or rose.
- Add 1-2 tsp of water at a time to make a paste.
- Massage your mixture into your skin then rinse.
- Use up to 2 times a week for best results.
3. Firming Eye Cream
An eye cream can cost you upwards of $50+ from a department store, and most women just don’t have the budget for that. Eye creams are a must to tighten and firm the skin under your eye, reduce those dreaded under-eye circles, and to reverse the signs of aging.
To make your own eye cream, you’ll need a few different oils. One of the most popular options is rosehip oil which is a powerful way to prevent aging and reduce broken capillaries. Another option is green tea because the caffeine actually tightens the skin. I’d suggest using both for fullest effects.
Follow these steps:
- Brew a cup of green tea and fill two saucepans halfway with water.
- Add a glass bowl to each pan of water, add wax and oils to one and green tea to the other.
- Heat both until they’re completely melted and warm. When they’re the same temperature, combine them and mix with a hand blender or spoon.
- When the water is no longer separated, add any additional essential oils and add your finished mixture to a container.
Beauty and skin care don’t have to be expensive. As long as you’re focused on natural ingredients, you’ll likely avoid any additives or chemicals that might be doing more harm than good. Skincare and beauty are important, so try one of these natural beauty recipes above to see results for yourself.