My family loves spaghetti. Honestly, my family loves all pasta and red sauce, but they especially love it with meat! I usually just use some ground beef or ground Italian sausage and add it into the sauce, but sometimes, I make it a little special by whipping up some of my Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs!
You really don’t need much to make these. I like to use a pound of ground beef and 1/2 pound of ground pork, 1 egg, salt, pepper, about a tsp of garlic powder, 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, fresh parsley and of course, mozzarella! (Kitchen tip: If you don’t want to use as much meat, fresh mushrooms ground up in a blender, make a wonderful substitute!)
You’ll want to combine all of the ingredients, except for the mozzarella and a little bit of fresh parsley, you know to make the plate look pretty. *wink wink*
Once your meat is mixed, you’ll put about a golf ball sized portion in your hand, flatten it a bit, add a cube of cheese, fold the meat around the cheese and then, roll it into a ball. Make sure the cheese is not visible from the outside.
I like to bake my meatballs in a mini-muffin tin. I feel like it cooks them evenly, helps them hold their shape and also, the muffin cups catch all of that excess grease and fat that we don’t really need.
This recipe makes 16 – 20 meatballs and believe me, with these, you’ll only need about 2 per person, so I like to bake half and freeze the other half of my mixture for another time!
Once they are out of the oven, you can serve them however you would like!
Drop them into the pot of sauce and serve them on top of pasta, which is how we usually eat them.
Or, you can always top them with a little sauce and serve them on their own! Either way, they are extremely delicious!
Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1/2 pound of ground pork
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 oz of Mozzarella cheese cubed
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all of your ingredients together, except for the mozzarella and a little bit of reserved fresh parsley.
- Once your meat is mixed, you'll put about a golf ball sized portion in your hand, flatten it a bit, add a cube of cheese, fold the meat around the cheese and then, roll it into a ball. Make sure the cheese is not visible from the outside.
- Bake the meatballs for about 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve them with a little red sauce on top or drop them into a pan of sauce and serve them with pasta! Your choice!