Have you ever opened your door on May 1st and found a basket filled with goodies? Do you know why it was on your doorstep? May Day is a celebration of spring time, that is observed on May 1st and can be dated back more than a millennia!
Make Your Own DIY May Day Buckets!
The old tradition of hanging May baskets on doorknobs is so fun. People make small baskets filled with treats or flowers to give secretly to friends and neighbors. It is customary to leave the basket on the doorstep of a neighbor or friend, ring the doorbell and run away. If the friend catches you before you get away, you must give them a kiss.
Here is what you need to make these DIY May Day Buckets:
- little buckets or baskets
- little circles of floral foam
- chalkboard labels
- chalk markers
- cute fake flowers
- colorful pencils
- twist ties
- dum dum suckers
- flower seed packets
Pro Tip: All of these items can be purchased at the Dollar Tree!
Making May Flowers:
Your flowers may come with floral wire and, if they do, just use that. If they don’t, you cant use a twist tie in the same fashion to attach a flower to the top of a pencil.
Once you’ve finished your flowers, it is time to assemble your May Day Buckets. It’s pretty quick and easy to put together.
- Place the floral foam in the bottom of the bucket and cover it with a little fake grass or moss.
- Secure a couple of your May Flower pencils and some Dum Dum suckers into the floral foam.
- Place the bubbles and seed packet in where there is room.
- Apply the chalkboard label and write a Happy May Day message!
Aren’t these cute? Now, for the fun! Pick out a neighbor, a friend, a family member, or even someone you don’t know and place one of these on their doorstep for May Day. I guarantee it will make them smile!