One of the most commonly used essential oils, the benefits of peppermint essential oil has been used to treat health issues for thousands of years, dating back to ancient civilizations. A natural hybrid of water mint and spearmint, peppermint contains a substance called menthol, which takes credit for the mint’s taste and smell as well as its distinct cooling sensation.
Hooray For Peppermint!
As an essential oil, peppermint has become a powerhouse in the realm of health and wellness, providing a staggering amount of health benefits ranging from shinier hair to a healthier digestive system. Read on to learn some of the amazing health benefits of peppermint essential oil and the effects it can have on you both physically and mentally.
What Can Peppermint Do For You?
For Your Body
Illness, discomfort, pain—none of this is pleasant to deal with. But clinical studies based around the remedial effects of peppermint oil on the body are showing its amazing capabilities in full:
- Relieves headaches. A touch of oil to the temples or other pulse/pressure points on the head and neck can ease headaches and clear your mind.
- Eases muscle and joint pain. A few drops rubbed on throbbing joints and sore muscles can soothe your pain away, relaxing
- Treats respiratory issues. Inhaling peppermint oil can treat anything from a dry and scratchy throat to a hacking cough, making it handy during cold and allergy seasons alike.
- Aid in weight loss. It’s not a miracle cure by any means, but studies have shown that peppermint oil can curb your appetite and lead to healthier eating habits and overall weight.
- Relieves heartburn. Peppermint diluted in tea or water or inhaled using a diffuser can soothe the discomfort of heartburn.
- Helps with skin problems. Itchiness, dryness, irritation, even acne—peppermint oil has been known to not only help soothe skin issues, but can also help out with your complexion.
- Acts as a digestive aid. Ingesting peppermint oil can help soothe your digestive system and ease the process along more smoothly, promoting comfort and regularity. It also helps improve irritable bowel symptoms.
- Treats nausea, indigestion, diarrhea, bloating, and gas. Going hand-in-hand with digestion, peppermint oil can prevent and treat several other gastro nuisances.
- Fights colds, coughs, and the flu. Peppermint oil dissolved in a diffuser can become your best friend when illnesses such as the flu, colds, and coughs roll around. Inhaling the oil puts you on a fast track to recovery.
- Alleviates inflammation. The menthol in peppermint oil soothes inflammation in the mouth, throat, chest, and stomach. It can also soothe inflamed skin when applied topically.
- Acts as an antioxidant. Like foods such as fish, blueberries, and spinach, peppermint acts as a natural antioxidant to improve cell growth and maintain a healthy body inside and out.
- Fights and alleviates fevers. The best practice for breaking a fever with peppermint oil is to put it in a diffuser, but you can also drink it in tea or rub a diluted solution along your forehead and temples.
Beauty Inside and Out
What’s not to love about an essential oil that makes you feel pretty? Many people (knowingly and unknowingly) use peppermint oil on a daily basis in their beauty regimen:
- Promotes healthy hair growth. A common ingredient in shampoos and conditioners, peppermint oil stimulates hair follicles so they grow healthy and strong, and can also prevent hair loss.
- Used in soaps. The clean, fresh scent is a bonus on top of moisturizing properties found in peppermint. It takes washing your hands to a whole new level.
- Acts as a soothing agent in skin creams. As stated above, peppermint oil is good for the skin; its soothing effects are perfect for lotions and creams.
- Freshens breath. Not shockingly, peppermint is a main ingredient in most toothpastes. You can also add a few drops of oil to your water or tea, or rub some (diluted) oil along your tongue or the roof of your mouth for clean, minty breath.
For Your Mind
Mind over matter is all well and good—until your mind isn’t so well at all. This is the holistic factor of peppermint oil—it’s not just for your bodily health, but your mental health as well:
- Relieves stress. True of many essential oils, peppermint oil soothes feelings of stress and anxiety. The fresh, minty scent helps calm the mind and can send you into a relaxed state.
- Boosts energy. Peppermint oil can jump-start your stamina and enhance your endurance, whether you’re working an 8-hour office day or running a marathon.
- Sharpens awareness. The effects of peppermint oil can heighten your focus and increase alertness, enhancing motivation and leading to a more fulfilled day.
Still not sure what to with essential oils?
One great way to start is with a curated Essential Oils Recipe Box.
You can always take a look at this list of 11 Essential Oils that you need in your medicine cabinet.
Of course, there are always the Essential Oils Home Hacks everyone should know!