We have all heard the stories.
Things I never thought I would say.
Things I never thought I would do.
How becoming a parent changed me.
Parenting folklore. Everyone has a story.
How about this one:
There were things.
Things that caught me off guard.
Things that I wasn’t prepared to explain to my children.
Here are the ones that really stand out! (In no particular order)
1. “Look Mom, A wizard!” – said my son LOUDLY!
While shopping at Walgreens, my son sees a women wearing all black and a Hijab, It was the first time that he had seen someone in full Islamic garb. I just kind of hushed him, told him not to shout and said, “That is not a wizard.”. I was completely unprepared, embarrassed and disappointed in myself because I didn’t know how to explain it to him properly. He later told me, “I thought it was Voldemort, but I couldn’t say his name.”.
2. “If it took surgery to get us out of you, what kind of surgery put us in there?” – My son questioning human reproduction.
“Ummmm, Uhhhhh, I’ll talk to you about this when you are older.” That was all I could muster.
I was stunned, stupefied and totally unprepared.
3. “You just have to watch out for those fancy money snatchers!” – My son discussing how he will find love.
“What are fancy money snatchers?” I asked.
“You know, girls who dress 100% fancy and only pretend they love you to get your money!” said my son, nonchalantly.
He may have 99 problems when he is older, but apparently, fancy money snatchers won’t be one.
4. “Why can’t you kiss my butt?” – My, then 2 year old, trying to get me to kiss her owie.
How do you even try to explain that one to a 2 year old? After you stop laughing that is.
5. “You keep telling me to be myself, but then you yell at me for misbehaving. You can’t have both, Mom!” – My son displaying his understanding of the world.
This post was originally posted on Gym.Craft.Laundry and can be seen there as well.