My kids have an issue with anything that resembles vegetation.
If they see it and it looks like a vegetable, then they aren’t going to eat it. Although, sometimes when I re-imagine a vegetable, I get lucky and it becomes edible in their eyes.
Enter Broccoli Rice.
I made this the other night in an attempt to get a little more green into their diet and I have to say, it was pretty darn tasty!
- Rice (I used 2 bags of boil -in-bag Jasmine rice)
- 1 bag of frozen broccoli cuts (heated or thawed)
- 1/2 of a jalapeno (remove ribs and seeds)
- 1 green onion (all but the root end)
- a small handful of fresh parsley (cilantro is awesome too!)
- 2 tbsp of grated Parmesan or 1/4 cup of shredded Parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking liquid from the rice or plain water (if needed)
Prep the vegetation as stated above. You don’t really need to dice or chop any thing because the food processor or blender will do it for you.
Cook the rice according to the directions on the package.
Place all of the vegetation and cheese into your food processor or blender and puree it up! Taste the broccoli at this point and make sure it is seasoned to your liking. If the mixture is too thick, add a little cooking liquid or plain water to thin it a bit.
Once your rice is fully cooked, add you broccoli puree to the pan and mix it together over low heat. The heat from the rice and the heat of the stove will heat up the puree.
Once it is at a good temperature, serve it up!
We had it with beer battered fish topped with homemade tartar sauce and it was FANTASTIC! I believe it would be delicious with pretty much anything though!
Please enjoy and come back to tell me what you thought!