A few weeks ago, I got sick and tired. Not my usual “sick and tired of my kids” sick and tired, but real sick and tired. My body kind of shut down on me. I got shaky, dizzy and sleepy. For 2 days all I could do was shake and sleep. I knew something was up, so I went to get checked out at the doctor. I thought I had a virus or something, but it turns out that I have Iron and Vitamin Deficiency Anemia.
Basically, I am low on iron, b12 and d, therefore, my body doesn’t have enough vitamins to produce healthy red blood cells which results in low hemoglobin. To combat this, I had to start a vitamin regiment and I will have to have blood panels done to watch my levels.
Having anemia is not fun. In fact, it sucks, a lot. Here are some of the things that suck about anemia.
1. You get super tired. Not like regular tired, but like Hulk punching Thor tired. Seriously, activities that seem like nothing to other people will knock you on your ass for HOURS! Oh and big events? Shit, I went a wedding this weekend and I am still randomly falling asleep from it. Also, it’s the kind of tired that not even caffeine can help. I will fall asleep while drinking coffee. I kid you not.
2. Everyone, and I mean everyone, will tell you to eat spinach because you need more iron. Or Liver and onions.
3. Taking a ton of pills every morning is not fun. Also, when you take extra iron you can smell the iron in everything! I swear I smell the iron in blood and urine everywhere I go. I also have iron burps all day long. No bueno.
4. You don’t necessarily look sick. Sometimes you can, but not always. I don’t look sick. In fact, I was looking pretty damn good this weekend!
5. Sometimes, your brain just doesn’t quite function right. You can forget things, get confused or feel like you are in a fog. Why? Well, your red blood cells carry your oxygen and if you aren’t getting enough oxygen flow, you just can’t function as well.
Being any kind of sick sucks. Mental, physical, chronic. It all deserves treatment, understanding, acceptance and support.