I have been researching Disney and trying to figure out the best way for me and my family to get the most out of our Disney stay. Do we stay at a hotel again, or do we invest in a lifetime of vacations with a Disney Vacation Club timeshare?
What is The Disney Vacation Club?
DVC is a points-based vacation ownership program, with an annual fee, that allows members to plan vacations to one of Disney’s 14 luxury resorts across the U.S. Disney timeshare resorts are often given extremely high ratings by club members for their accommodations, proximity to key attractions, and overall service.
When you become a DVC member, you are allotted a set number of points that are redeemable within a given Use Year. DVC use years start in February, March, April, June, August, September, October, and December.
What are some of the benefits of ownership with Disney Vacation Club?
If you become a member of Disney Vacation Club by purchasing directly from Disney Vacation Club, you’ll get additional extras on top of owning a specific Disney timeshare at the home resort of your choice. You’ll receive a 15-25% dining discount, “Extra Magic Hours”, which allow you and your family extra time at Disney Theme Parks, and much more.
Here are some of the other discounted amenities: Certain benefits and giveaways vary by resort, and are always subject to change.
- Spa treatments
- Watersports rentals
- Rounds of golf
- Theme park tours
Purchasing DVC Timeshares Through the Resale Market
While the extra perks above are fantastic, they unfortunately do not transfer to new owners who purchase their DVC memberships from other individuals. However, if you are willing to forgo extras like dining discounts, you can secure a substantial discount on the price of your membership and DVC points by purchasing or renting through an independent timeshare resale company like SellMyTimeshareNow.com. This site features Disney Vacation Club memberships that are for sale and for rent by owner, allowing your family to vacation in a spacious suite or villa with a full kitchen, living room, and multiple bedrooms for less than booking a room at a hotel in the area. Another added bonus is that many DVC resorts (Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas, for example), are located right on Disney’s grounds. This is a huge advantage over staying at a hotel as you’ll be in the heart of all the Disney action during your entire vacation!
Another thing to consider is that many Disney Vacation Club Resorts are currently “sold out”, meaning you cannot purchase a membership at these home resorts from Disney Vacation Club directly. This means that purchasing the membership and points through resale is the only way to obtain them!
Hotel vs The Disney Vacation Club
Here are some questions you can ask yourself while deciding:
- Do you visit Disney annually or multiple times a year?
- Do you find that hotel rooms are overpriced for the amenities you get?
- Do you think that the perks and discounts of a timeshare are worth the annual fee?
- Do you want guaranteed accommodations for your annual vacations?
- One time cost, when you visit.
- Available anytime, with fluctuating costs.
- No annual fees.
- Not located within the Disney theme park.
- Not suitable for large families or groups.
The Disney Vacation Club:
- Disney Vacation Club resorts rarely have vacancies due to their popularity among members and non-members. Owning a Disney timeshare allows you to book early in your home resort booking window and to lock in a suite before the resorts get fully booked out.
- No fluctuating costs, but an annual fee and blackout dates apply.
- Suitable for large families, groups, or travelers wanting more space.
- Disney resorts offer quality amenities, services, and entertainment you just can’t get at a hotel.
- By purchasing a DVC timeshare, you gain access to the “World Passport Collection” allowing you to trade your points for accommodations at other amazing resorts across the globe.
Making The Decision
It’s a big decision and one that you shouldn’t take lightly. My mother owns part of a timeshare and I know that it has saved her a lot of money on vacations to many different places. I think that if we enjoy Disney enough to go back, a timeshare resale may be the right choice for us. Since many Disney resorts are currently sold out, purchasing on the resale market is not only more affordable than purchasing directly from Disney, but in many cases it’s the only way! By owning a Disney resale, we’ll not only be able to stay at our home resort, but other awesome resorts like Disney’s Animal Kingdom or Disney’s Beach Villas, while saving money at the same time!
To learn more about how to buy Disney Vacation Club points from current DVC owners, visit popular private reseller SellMyTimeshareNow.com.